Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Blessings from a Feast



Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, so like most people in the US, I've been preparing for the feast. Last spring, my Father was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease, which is an intolerance to wheat and gluten. So, Dad can't have any wheat products, which knocks out some of the favorite holiday sides and condiments - gravy, stuffing, pie, etc. This adds a new dimension to our dinner, because with a group of 30-40 and only 1 gluten-free dieter, it's hard to have the world cater to Dad's dietary requirements.

Today, I made gravy, stuffing, gluten-free Green Bean Casserole (cream of mushroom soup and those canned french fried onions are full of gluten), and a gluten-free, sugar-free apple pie. Wow! It sounds harder than it was; it was just time consuming.

I'M GRATEFUL THAT MY MOTHER DIDN'T MIND HAVING ME HANG OUT IN THE KITCHEN WHILE SHE COOKED AND THAT SHE TAUGHT ME HOW TO COOK!

(However, this did not negate my humiliating defeat when I was a teenager and I came in second to my brother in a cookie baking contest.)

I didn't invent any of the recipes, although I admit to not following a recipe for apple pie. They all came from on-line sources who have a lot more experience cooking for gluten-free diets than I have.

I AM ESPECIALLY GRATEFUL FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE DEVELOPED RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE DISHES THAT TASTE GREAT, SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN ALL THIS ON MY OWN!

No comments: