Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Counting Blessings

Free Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.orgFree Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.orgFree Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.orgFree Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.orgFree Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.orgFree Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.orgFree Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.org
OK, so I met a really nice person a couple of months ago at a Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce meeting. We'd attended a couple of the same events. She told me that she thought I was just a generally happy person and asked if she was right. I had to reflect a minute and then agreed that I am pretty happy most of the time. I don't think my life is perfect. Far from it. However, I have been blessed with the ability to let things go, which makes me fairly unbothered by life's ups and downs.

I'll admit to being one of those cock-eyed optimists occasionally derided as being totally oblivious to real life and the world. I'm not oblivious, but if being upset won't change things, why be upset? You waste a lot of energy and accomplish nothing. I have yet to find that things won't be just fine, even if I totally don't anticipate or even want whatever outcome I get. Seriously, it all works out in the end.

At church on Sunday, Bishop Jones, not for the first time, took a couple of minutes and talked about how we should be grateful and the importance of gratitude (it's the week before Thanksgiving, so thematically on target, but sincerely heartfelt), so I thought I should start a blog just devoted to enumerating my blessings, because I want to be more aware of all the good stuff, and be more grateful for the blessings I receive everyday. I'm pretty sure that along the way, I'll have to figure out new ways I've been blessed, so that there is some variety in my posts. I won't even pretend to promise to post everyday. That's a bit too ambitious for me, but hopefully I'll post often enough.

When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

I AM GRATEFUL THAT BLOGSPOT MAKES STARTING A NEW BLOG SO EASY!

No comments: