Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Hymns

I love Christmas. I love music. I love Christmas music.

At the risk of being totally un-cool, I confess that I prefer Christmas hymns. And, I really enjoy seemingly obscure Christmas hymns from England. I don't know if they are obscure in England, but they aren't well known in the US. Just listening to the songs, however, I'd believe a few of them are not sung on every street corner in London.

On the whole, I like non-sacred Christmas songs also, but they don't really elicit much of an emotional response in me, unless I really dislike the song. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree is fun, but Frosty the Snowman is a bit creepy and I won't listen to the song. That BandAid/Live Aid song is stupid. Did no one ever take elementary school geography? Africa is equatorial and largely in the southern hemisphere. They would have huge problems if it snowed at Christmas.

The best part about Christmas music is that you can sing it out loud, in public, to the neighbors, or with a store's PA system. No one looks at you like you are nuts when you're singing it, because it's Christmas music, which is meant to be sung. Christmas songs are sung with more volume, gusto, and joy at church. Christmas music unites people as no other music does. It cuts across generations, genders, and denominations.

I AM GRATEFUL FOR CHRISTMAS MUSIC! FA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!

No comments: